Thursday, April 19, 2012

Elephants Cause Havoc

There are reportedly as many as 70 wild elephants roaming around in Namibia that are scaring people away and causing damage to property.  People in the area are living in fear of the "beasts."  They are believed to be coming from the Khoreizas area where there are no fences and they roam free.  The elephants frequently will destroy water pipes and taps leaving people to compete with them for water. There has been a few preposed solutions including sinking holes to keep elephants away from homes and permanant rangers in areas with abundant elephants. 
This article caught me off gaurd because when I think of Africa and their wildlie, I always thought that the elephants are supposed to roam free just like deer here.  I guess I thought wrong.  I also did not think that the elephants would be harmful to the residents and their resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment