Monday, April 23, 2012

Cheaper HIV drugs?

In Kenya, people will now be able to get lower cost drugs for HIV.  How?  The High Court outlawed the parts in the law which barred the manufacturing of generic drugs.  The Act was put in place in 2008 to help with the production of counterfit drugs, which were costing the people, but not helping them.  The parts of the law about generics were "vauge" and failed to determine clearly the difference between generic and counterfit medicines.  Sections 2, 32, and 34 of the Act are now amended to allow the use of generic medicines. 

I found this interesting since the article that I posted about not to long ago was an article about the wide spread use of counterfit drugs.  It is something that I have never even thought of before.  I think about drugs that we get here and medications that I have gotten in the past.  I think I almost always get the generic versions of drugs, unless for some reason my insurance doesn't cover it.  I am always shocked when I look at the price differences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment